Milestones in the history of Silicon
The awe inspiring story of Silicon Institute of Technology in achieving the status of a no-nonsense academic institution where discipline is the key word started just over a decade back. The institution has made giant leaps both in educational excellence and industrial expertise during its short yet exciting journey. Navigating through the pages of Silicon’s diary from its humble beginning in 1997 to its ever growing shape in 2014 makes one stumble over many a milestone.
Silicon holds in its fold a blend of academic achievements, industrial participation, entrepreneurship development and success in activities which go beyond teaching. The cultural extravaganza conducted once a year has increased in glamour over the years. Equally worth mentioning is the participation in sports events which has added on both volume and appeal over time. Silicon has been host to a plethora of workshops, seminars and celebrations.
Academically sound students have year after year bagged gold medals at the University Examinations. Many of Silicon Alumni have been successful in All India Examinations such as GATE. Enthusiastic faculty members have had success in both academic pursuits and industrial collaboration. Here is a glimpse of the achievements of the Institute in multifarious activities as a centre for learning, as an active participant in industry as well as in nonacademic pursuits such as blood donation and tree plantation.
- About two hundred Siliconites have been placed in INFOSYS and more than hundred students have got placement in WIPRO in the first phase of on-campus recruitment drive.
- A few Siliconites have cleared the GATE examination this year; with the 3rd position held by a Silicon Alumni and the 19th position going to one of our current students.
- National Workshop on Emerging Technologies with focus on ‘Recent trends in Modern Power System Protection’ was held from 27th February to 1st March.
- National Workshop on VLSI Signal Processing Efficient Design and Implementation organized by the department of Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering on 14th , 15th and 16th of November.
- Silicon Tech Lab, a unit of Silicon Incubation Centre got the best participant award for the year 2012-13 for showcasing its software solution development capabilities at an event organized by STPI called Bangalore ITE.biz at Lalit Ashok Hotel, Bangalore
- National Workshop on Emerging Technologies in Electrical Power Engineering was held on 17th and 18th of February
- National Workshop on Industrial Instrumentation and Control conducted on the 23rd and 24th of March
- An Entrepreneurship Development Programme was conducted from the 16th April to 9th May
- Seminar on Cloud Computing was organized by CSI- Silicon Student Branch on 9th of May
- National seminar on Application Oriented Networking was organized on the 2nd and 3rd of July
- National Seminar on Parallel and Distributed Computing was held on 16th July
- Entrepreneurship Awareness Programme was conducted from 10th to the 12th of August
- National Conference on Future trends in information and communication Technology and Applications (NCICT) was organized on 10th and 11th of September
- Arindam Bhttacharya becomes All India Topper for GATE
- Silicon West hosts legacy 2010 its first Annual Day
- Silicon Tech Lab started as a joint venture between the Silicon faculty and Silicon Incubation Centre and a few national and international professionals from the field of Computer Science, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Instrumentation and Communication. Silicon Incubation Centre was set up to guide entrepreneurs in the field of software development. It currently has business dealings in both product and services in Business Intelligence and Data warehousing.
- In the same year Silicon Institute of Technology expanded to another campus at Sambalpur offering BTech courses with core engineering subjects.
- Silicon becomes Institutional member of Computer Society of India
- Silicon signs MOU with Bangalore based Power Research Development Centre
- Silicon signs MOU with US based Perfectus Technologies
- Gold medals for BTech and MCA students
- Silicon establishes a library with a reading room
- Silicon hosts the first international symposium on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics
- The first batch of Silicon students from four branches pass out and 40 percent of them get employment through campus placement.
- Mr Kiran Karnik President NASSCOM visits Silicon Campus and plants a tree
- Silicon establishes its Alumni Association
- TCS conducts recruitment in Silicon campus
- Silicon hosts the 12th International Democratic Education Conference
- Silicon hosts its first Annual function X-plosion
- Silicon launched its first official website at www.silicon.ac.in
- The first issue of its newsletter Silicon Language for Arts Technology and Education (SLATE) published
- Silicon gets the first approval from AICTE
- BTech classes for the first batch started
It was the summer of 1997 a group of technically qualified friends with extensive global exposure got together to realize their shared vision with clarity and purpose... their dream has come to be realized as an edifice of knowledge and success known as Silicon Institute of Technology.
With the vision ‘to become a center of excellence in the field of technical education and research’ energized with the mission of ‘to provide the best of technical skills, professional ethics and human values in enriching the disciplines of Science Engineering and Technology for Nation building’ Silicon Institute of Technology has remained Odisha's premier institution for technical education with an established track record for over more than a decade. While Silicon Bhubaneswar has the circuit branches of engineering, Silicon Sambalpur was added to the academic map of Odisha in the year 2009 with core engineering branches including civil, mechanical and electrical.
Silicon has been constantly improving and adapting to the needs of students through pedagogical innovations and technological support in their relentless endeavour to prepare students to venture into their next enterprise, be it the corporate world or higher institutions of learning. Team Silicon aims to nurture young minds through creative leadership and a culture of teamwork to excel in Teaching and beyond.
Silicon Institute of Technology has two campuses one in Bhubaneswar and the other in Sambalpur. While the Bhubaneswar campus is sprawling over 18.5 acres the Sambalpur campus boasts of nearly 30 acres of lush greenery. Silicon Institute of Technology offers a tranquil environment for learning, far from the madding crowd, making it, an ideal place for academic pursuits.