Workshop on Web Application Development
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering in association with Lakshya Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar organised a one-day workshop on Web Application development using JAVA on 30 March 2019. Students from all branches participated in the workshop and had a hands-on experience on website development.
The Department of Computer Science and Engineering in association with Lakshya Institute of Technology, Bhubaneswar organised the State Level C-Marathon-2019 on 02 February 2019 where stuents from all branches participated. Resource persons from the domain area briefed the students on C Programming Language and conducted a coding competition.
3ds Max for Engineers/Architects
A 40 hours self-financed training program titled 3ds Max for Engineers/Architects was organised by Department of Civil Engineering in November 2019.
Seminar / Industrial lecture
Industrial Lectures Organized for Students
1. The Department of Computer Science & Engineering in association with the II Cell organised an Industrial Lecture for the students of 6th Semester CSE on 05 April 2019. Mr. Kumar Rakesh Singh, Doctoral Research Scholar at VSSUT, Burla and former Technical Analyst of TCS and HCl delivered a lecture on cutting edge technologies anf the future of IT industry through Automation, IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
2. The Department of Electrical Engineering and the Department of Electronics & Communication Engineering in association with the II Cell organised an Industrial Lecture on 21 March 2019. Mr. Shiv Karmakar, Deputy Manager, OPTCL, Sambalpur delivered a lecture on the challenges of Power Transmission and Distribution with a special focusin the district of Sambalpur. Students from 6th and 8th Semester (EE and ECE) attended the lecture.
3. The Department of Mechanical Engineering in association with the II Cell organised an Industrial Lecture on 09 March 2019. Mr. Susant Kumar Guru, Vice President, Aditya Aluminium, Lapanga, Sambalpur delivered a lecture on the industrial requirements in terms of the skillset of the next generation workforce and also reflected upon the entrepreneurial approach of industries in the core engineering sectors. He presented a case study of Aditya Aluminium in terms of human resource management, core production and power generation from its thermal power units. Students from all branches attended the lecture.
4. The Department of Civil Engineering in association with the II Cell organised an Industrial Lecture on 09 March 2019. Mr. Jyotirmaya Behera, Executive Engineer. MSRD, Burla delivered a lecture titled “Logging of cracks & assessment of water quality parameters of leaked / seepage water from crack areas in a concrete gravity dam: A case study of Hirakud dam” on 08 March 2019. Civil Engineering students from all batches attended the lecture.
1. The II Cell organised a motivational talk by Captain S C Das, Command Recruitment Officer, Eastern Naval Command, Indian Navy on 25 April 2019. Captain Das oriented the students from 7th and 5th semester on the opportunities to join the Indian Navy ian Armed Forces through the University Entry Schemes of the Indian Armed Forces.
2. An extramural lecture on the philosophy of Swami Vivekananda was delivered by Mr. Umesh Chandra Panda, eminent Vivekananda Scholar from Sambalpur. Mr. Panda reflected on the life and teachings of Swami Vivekananda and delineated how the values imparted by him are relevant today, especially to the youths of India.
Industry Visit Organized for Students
1. An industry visit to Aditya Aluminium at Lapanga in Sambalpur district was organised for students of 6th and 8th Semesters from EE, ECE & ME on 16 March 2019. Students had an exposure to the industrial work environment and workculture through this visit. The officials from the industry facilitated the students with a tour to major divisions and departments. The visit was coordinated by the II Cell and the departments concerned.
2. An industry visit to Model Study and Research Dam Division at Burla, Sambalpur was organised for the students of Civil Engineering from 6th and 8th Semester on 6th March 2019. Students had an exposure to the research models and prototypes under the guidance of the MSRD officials. The visit was coordinated by the II Cell and the department concerned.
Student Activities / Achievement(s)
Achievement(s) by Students
The Silicon Cricket Team won the inter college Cricket Tournament organised by IIM, Sambalpur. Teams from institutions like IIMSBP, VIMSAR, Sambalpur University etc. participated in the tournament. Moreover, the team for Table Tennis bagged the Runner-Up position.
Engineers' Day - 2018
The Engineers’ Day-2018 was observed on 15 September 2018. Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director of the institute offered his homage to Sir. M. Visvesvaraya and reflected upon the life and career of the great soul. He urged to inculcate the values like sincerity and integrity from the life of Sir. M. Visvesvaraya. On this occasion the Students Council of the institute organised a Technical Quiz Competition titled “Techbration-2K18” where more than 50 students participated.
Blood Donation Camp - 2018
A Blood Donation Camp was organised in the institute campus by the Students’ Council on 10th November 2018. Members of the Red Cross Society and medical staff from Blood Bank, VIMSAR, Burla carried out the event and at the end of the day 71 units of blood were collected. and by the end of the day 71 units of blood were collected.
Essay Writing Competitions
Essay Writing Competitions in English, Hindi and Odia were organised on 27 October 2018. Mr. Soumav Bose, Ms. Sanskriti Puryar and Mr. Utsav Sahay were adjudged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in English Essay respectively. Ms. Ritika Kumari, Mr. Soumav Bose and Ms. Prachi Jaiswal were adjudged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Hindi Essay respectively. Similarly, Mr. Praveen Kumar Sahu, Ms. Saumitra Patel and Ms. Snigdha Rani Pradhan were adjudged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Odia Essay respectively.
Brainaholic - 2018
A technical quiz competition titled ‘Brainaholic’ was organised on 9th and 10th November 2018. The competition began with 65 students participating in the prelim. Different teams of students were formed out of the ones who cleared the prelim round and these teams played the quiz finale. The Winning Team First Runner-Up Team and Second Runner-Up Team were awarded.
Rendezvous - 2018
The First Alumni Meet of Silicon Sambalpur – ‘Rendezvous 2018’ was organised on 29 December 2018. 12 alumni from different branches participated in the meet and reflected upon their memories on campus. An interactive session between the alumni and the current students from 6th and 8th semesters was also organised with a view to orienting the current students towards career building.
With a view to promoting the brand of Silicon Sambalpur an inter school/college quiz competition titled Quizicon 2018-19 was oraganised from December 2018 to January 2019. About 700 students from eight different schools/colleges participated in the prelim and the top three performers of each school/college were shortlisted to participate in the Quizicon Grand Finale. The finale was held on 19 January 2019 in the institute campus. After five rounds of the finale Newton College of +2 Science and VSS +2 Science College were adjudged as the Winner and Runner-Up respectively. The Winning Team and the Runner-Up Team were awarded with prize amounts of Rs. 12000/- and Rs. 6000/- respectively.
Debate Competitions - 2019
Debate Competitions in English and Hindi were organised on 18 January 2019. Ms. Sushmita Mohapatra, Ms. Sanskriti Puryar and Mr. Yash Raghava were adjudged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in English Debate respectively. Similarly, Mr. Yash Raghava , Mr. Soumav Bose and Mr. Harsh Singh were adjudged 1st, 2nd and 3rd in Hindi Debate respectively.
Annual Athletic Meet - 2019
The 9th Annual Athletic Meet of the institute was held on 19 January 2019. The Athletic Torch was lit at Samaleswari Temple, Sasan and was brought to the Athletic ground with a procession. Students, members of faculty and staff participated in the procession. After the completion of all the events Mr. Siddhartha Tripathy from Electronics & Communication Engineering and Ms. Ritika Kuari from Computer Science & Engineering were adjudged Athlete of the Year (Boys) and Athlete of the Year (Girls) respectively.
The Republic Day Celebration - 2019
The Republic Day was observed on 26 January 2019 in the institute campus. Director, Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra hoisted the National Flag and addressed the members of faculty, staff and students. He emphasised to uphold the constitutional values to protect the democratic rights of each citizen and made the audience aware of the fundamental duties of the citizens towards the nation.
Litterateur of the Fall - 2019
The Literary Club of the institute organised the Litterateur of the Fall – 2K19 on 5th and 6th February 2019. Students from all semesters and branches participated in the event comprising three rounds namely ‘Scripto Fabula,’ ‘Poetica Reflexionem’ and Oratio. Mr. Soumav Bose from Electrical Engineering won the trophy and title of Litterateur of the Fall for the year 2019.
Model United Nations - 2019
The Model United Nations (MUN) 2019 was held on 22nd February 2019. Students as delegates of different nations reflected upon the policies and perspectives on the topic titled "Global Climate Change: Perspectives and Challenges towards Creating a Better World". After three rounds of deliberations Mr. Yash Raghava, 6th Semester CSE was adjudged ‘Best Delegate’ of MUN-2019
Techstasy 2K19 & Zreyas 2K19
The annual technical festival Techstasy 2K19 was organised on 1st and 2nd March 2019. More than 20 different events were organised in the technical festival, to name a few Poster Presentation, Innovision, Aparimit, Housie, Robowar, Pathfinder etc. Apart from the in house participants, 25 students from Vikash Institute of Technology, Bargarh also took part in various events. The annual cultural programme Zreyas 2K19 was organised on 1st and 2nd March 2019. Students rendered different cultural performances over these two days.
Farewell Function of B. Tech 2019
The Farewell function for B.Tech 2019 graduation batch was held on 30th March 2019. Mr. Gaurav Kumar was presented the Best Student Award for the batch. The graduating students shared their experiences during the function. It was followed by a photo session and dinner.
International Yoga Day - 2019
The Institute observed the International Yoga Day on 21st June 2019 at the Campus by organising a one-hour yoga session under the guidance of Dr. Lalit Mohan Pradhan. Many members of faculty and staff participated in the session.
Orientation Programme - 2019
The 11th Orientation Programme for the admission batch 2019-23 was held on 14th August 2019. Prof Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director Silicon West delivered the Welcome Address and guided the newcomers to adhere to the values like sincerity and discipline. He also reflected upon the career options that the students can prepare for. Dean, Prof. Enakshi Das shared her words of encouragement and asked the newcomers to make the best use of time during the next four years of their stay on campus. Mr. Manoj Kumar Mahapatra, Principal (I/c) elaborated on academics at Silicon, the university curriculum and examinations patterns.
Independence Day Celebration - 2019
The Independence Day was observed on the institute campus on 15 August 2019. Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director of the institute hoisted the National Flag and addressed the students, members of faculty and staff. He shared his concerns on the incidents of violence in the country affecting the social fabric of India and urged to safeguard the precious freedom gained after centuries of struggle with the colonial powers. Students offered a few cultural renditions on patriotic songs. Moreover, a Tree Plantation programme was carried out where students, members of faculty and staff participated.
Welcome Ceremony - 2019
The Welcome Ceremony for the admission batch 2019-23 was organised by the 3rd Semester students on 24 September 2019. Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director, Silicon West welcomed the newcomers and appreciated the efforts of the organising batch. Dean, Prof Enakshi Das shared her thoughts with the new batch. It was followed by a few ice-breaking sessions and introduction sessions. At the end Mr. Aniket Shukla and Ms. Rakshita Tiwari were adjudged Mr. Fresher and Miss Fresher respectively.
Teachers' Day - 2019
The Teachers' Day was celebrated on 5th September 2019. Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director Silicon West, Prof. Enakhi Das, Dean, Mr. Manoj Kumar Mohapatra, Principal (I/c), all members of faculty and NTT Staff participated in this event organised by the Students. There were a few fun games organised for the teachers followed by a cake-cutting ceremony.
Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp - 2019
An Entrepreneurship Awareness Camp was organised at Silicon Institute of Technology, Sambalpur by the Entrepreneurship Development Cell, Silicon Bhubaneswar and supported by NSTEDB, Government of India under DST-NIMAT Project on 28 September 2019. Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra (Director, Silicon SBP) delivered the Welcome Address and Prof. Enakshi Das (Dean, Silicon SBP) shared her thoughts on entrepreneurship as a career. Dr. Mahendra Prasad Agasty (Associate Professor of Economics, Faculty in Charge, ED Cell & Coordinator of Institution Innovation Council, Silicon BBS) introduced the theme of the camp and dealt with the charm of being an entrepreneur. He also took a session on 'Design Thinking'. Eminent Speaker, Motivator, Mentor and Entrepreneur Mr. Bhavani Shankar Pani delivered a stimulating talk on 'Identification of Opportunities and Idea Generation'. Similarly Mr. Toosar Panigrahi - Assistant General Manager, IDBI, Bargarh and a learned financial consultant, reflected upon the 'Role of Financial Institutions in Starting New Enterprises'. Mr. Pani and Mr. Panigrahi addressed the queries from the participants. Ms. Ankita Panda (Assistant Professor of Economics & Faculty in Charge, ED Cell, Silicon SBP) coordinated and compered the event. More than 100 students participated in the event. Hope we will see a few entrepreneurs from among the students in the days to come.
Expert Talk on Digital Transformation
Mr. Amitabh Mishra, Chief Information Officer and Chief Digital Officer from different leading MNCs like General Electric, Hewlett Packard, IBM, Intel and SAP, delivered a lecture titled “Digital Transformation” on 5th October 2019 in Silicon Institute of Technology, Sambalpur.
With a view to orienting the students to protection of environment as well as imparting a course on Environmental Science to the students of 3rd Semester, the Department of Civil Engineering took up the initiative to create and nourish a Kitchen Garden on Campus. With the mentorship of Ms. Pragnya Parimita, Assistant Professor (Civil Engineering), the able guidance of Mr. Alok Kumar Nanda,Technical Assistant (Civil Engineering) and the sincere diligence of the students, the garden over the last three weeks has started yielding vegetables like Tomatoes, Okra, Coriander Leaves, Spinach etc. It's not that we haven't seen these vegetables, but the difference here is that our students have nourished and fostered the seeds and saplings. They have been deeply associated with the growth of these plants; they have literally felt the soil, the water, the air and the environment at large which in itself is a commendable job for students of Engineering and Technology.
Techbration – 2K19
Techbration-2K19 - the Annual Technical Quiz Competition of the institute was held on 6 & 7 November 2019. The prelim for the quiz was conducted on 6 November 2019 and the top 10 scorers were shortlisted for the Final on 7 November 2019. Mr. Manoj Krushna Mohanta (5th Sem CSE) & Mr. Shubham Shrivastava (5th Sem CSE) were adjudged winners and Mr. Akash Raj (5th Sem CSE) & Mr. Niket Nirupam (5th Sem ECE) were adjudged runner-ups. The winners and runner-ups were awarded cash prizes and the other finalists were presented consolation prizes.
Science Exhibition - 2019
A Science Exhibition was organised on 9 November 2019 where students of first semester presented their models. The Albert Einstein Science Club was inaugurated by Prof. Pradeep Kumar Mishra, Director, Silicon West and Prof. Enakshi Das, Dean SIT West in collaboration with the Robotics Club of the institute guided the students in preparing the models for the exhibition. After the daylong exhibition the winning and runner-up teams were awarded. Similarly, all the participants were presented certificates of participation.